Our mission is to go into the neighborhoods and to connect
and engage individuals in positive service experiences where they will discover
and then use their assets to transform their neighborhoods into thriving
REACH, (Real Experiences Affecting Change), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, brings together youth and young adults from all over the country to share a week of their lives as they discover the joy of serving others. We use these groups as a catalyst to lasting transformation, both for the individuals and the community at large.
At REACH, we believe that:
· Happiness (fulfillment, purpose, direction, self-esteem, contentment, excitement) comes from doing for others without expecting something in return. “service to others”
· We were born with the passion to serve one another.
· If our Goal is to help others achieve happiness (see above), we need to ask them to help us…
· If you really want to help someone – get them to help you.
· No one likes to “need” help.
· We all have more when we share” (resources, ideas, information…) Working together (collaboration)
· You are known by your actions
· Servant Leadership is the correct form of leadership “is a philosophy and set of practices that enriches the lives of individuals, builds better organizations and ultimately creates a more just and caring world” Robert Greenleaf
· “It’s all about You” For too long we have been told “It is not about you” as a reminder not to be selfish, when in truth, it is about us and the things we can control about ourselves: attitude, intentionality, listening, influence, serving others…
· You don’t know what you don’t know until you learn it.
· Until you listen to someone’s “story”, you can’t possibly begin to know why they are the way they are, what their needs or desires are, or how you can hope to effectively help them help themselves.
· The only changes that last in a person’s life or situation are changes that they were directly involved in achieving. “It’s not about what we can do for them, but what they can do for themselves.”
· We believe that people can change their own world – someone just needs to show them how.
· People are more connected (passionate about) by the why you do something then what you do or how you do it.
· A rule is just a guideline. What matters is the reason for the rule in the first place, not the rule itself.
· It’s a sign of strength to ask for help. (one of the reasons we choose not to own anything)
If you’re the kind of person that wants your time to matter – if you are tired of putting money and effort into the same old solutions, if you believe there is a better way and have the passion to make a difference, then REACH was designed for you.
“Go to the people. Live among them. Love them. Learn from them. Start from where they are; work with them; Build on what they have. But of the best leaders, when the task is accomplished, the work completed, the people will say 'We have done it ourselves.” Lao Tzu
Date de fondation : February 15, 2011
Numéro d'identification : 27-5065466
Adresse email : Identifiez-vous pour voir ces adresses email
Numéro de téléphone : 540-529-9200
610 Mountain Ave. SW, Roanoke, VA, 24016, US