Une mission bénévole
Une mission bénévole posté par Sudan's Institute for Human Rights, Good Governance and Development
Publié le : 10 janv. 2013
Sudan's Institute for Human Rights, Good Governance and Development (SIRD)
Job Title: Managing Director
Job Type: Volunteer
Reporting Reports to: the International Advisory Board
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Experience: 5-10 years
Key expertise and experience: Pioneering, organization development, management, leadership and fundraising in a post-conflict setting
Are you a pioneering expert, retired international civil servant, organization development expert with sound leadership and management experience? Are you passionate about, and a firm believer in human rights, rule of law and sustainable development issues? Sudan's Institute for Human Rights, Good Governance and Development (SIRD) is offering you an opportunity to live your passion, oversee the implementation of its start up phase and contribute to peace, state and nation building efforts in the Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Sudan.
SIRD is a South Sudanese registered nongovernmental organization committed to fostering the culture of human rights, participatory governance and sustainable development in the Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Sudan. An International Advisory Board composed of four South Sudanese, two North Sudanese, a Kenyan, a Nigerian, a Zambian and an Indian governs SIRD. It will be launched officially in the first quarter of 2013. Currently, SIRD has three proposed program areas: Human Rights, Good Governance and Sustainable Development.
II. The Job
The Managing Director is a senior member of the management team. The purpose of this position is to oversee the implementation of the start-up phase of SIRD, develop and deliver its portfolio of programs and leverage partnership to maximize SIRD's impact in South Sudan and eventually North Sudan.
III. Key Responsibilities
• Effectively and efficiently set up SIRD as a 21st century nongovernmental organization
• Formulate and implement SIRD's strategies and policies to support the strategic objectives of the Institute
• Develop the broad strategic framework and priorities for SIRD, based on the institutional priorities and strategies established by the Board
• Oversee the development, integration and delivery of SIRD's programs, projects and activities to meet the needs of the substantive, operational and
administrative areas of SIRD
• Provide oversight of the strategic and operational issues related to the successful implementation of the 2012-2015 strategic plan of SIRD
• Ensure that SIRD's operational risks are identified and managed, and that operational capacities are robust and available to support business continuity
under a range of operating scenarios
• Provide leadership to the innovation, awareness and adoption of new tools and technology-enabled work practices that will improve productivity and
• Fundraise to support programs and operational cost of SIRD
• Ensure that SIRD's activities are cost-effective and provide value for money
• Provide strategic input and support the implementation of a continuous change management process that harnesses the available human and financial
resources SIRD has
• Manage human, financial and other resources of SIRD
• Represent SIRD at national, regional and international meetings and conferences; and
• Perform other related duties as requested by the Board.
IV. The Person
1. Programme Delivery & Impact
§ Experience of successful start-ups, leading, developing and implementing strategy at national level or equivalent
§ Track record of delivering results and impact at national level in a post conflict environment
§ Experience of leading the planning and implementation of emergency response programs
§ Experience of reviewing strategy and managing change effectively
§ Experience of managing organizational risks in a post conflict situation
2. Team Leadership
§ Experience of managing and developing large teams of international and national professional staff and demonstrating significant results
§ Experience of leading and motivating senior professional staff from a broad range of disciplines
§ Experience of managing a major crisis requiring sudden and major change in priorities and rapid management action to respond
§ Experience of handling crises in an insecure environment
§ Experience of working successfully with senior managers in other parts of own organization or partner organizations to deliver major change
3. External Orientation
§ Experience of successfully starting and or repositioning an organization or a part of an organization in response to market analysis and insights
§ Experience of successfully influencing other large organizations to change their policies or priorities, and of effective media representation
§ Experience of building personal external networks at senior level, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organization
§ A strong understanding of key trends in international development, and of the evolving role of NGOs
§ Leadership experience
4. Managing Resources, Quality, and Risk
§ Experience of successfully implementing changes to processes to improve and monitor quality standards and impact achieved
§ Experience of systematically and effectively assessing, monitoring, managing and reducing risks
§ Experience of managing and shaping large income and expenditure budgets efficiently and effectively, and of implementing effective financial control processes
5. Personal Interests, Skills, and Circumstances
§ Commitment to SIRD's mission and values
§ Fluency in English and working knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage.
§ Ability and willingness to volunteer, work pro bono and make personal sacrifice for the
development of the organization
§ Resilience and personal circumstances to be able to travel frequently
§ Awareness of own strengths and weaknesses, and evidence of commitment to self managed personal development
This position is a volunteer position for the first year of engagement and, subject to the availability of fund, is planned to be converted to a paid position with full benefits in accordance with the scale of SIRD. In the first year the incumbent will get an agreed allowance to cover basic subsistence in the country and flight cost to the duty station will be covered by SIRD.
Applicants will be shortlisted on the 30th of January 2013 and interviewed on the 15th and 16th of February 2013. The Board will interview the three top candidates on the 16th of March 2013.
The successful candidate is expected to have resumed duty by July, the beginning of SIRD's financial year.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to: email@example.com the 25th of January 2013. Telephone enquiries should be made through: +27 734 233 926